Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Screenplays, writing, storytelling and a little black tape recorder...

I was reading one of my favorite blogs tonight, Complications Ensue: The Crafty TV and Screenwriting Blog. and he was talking about telling the story out loud. This is very important, especially for writers who are still trying to establish themselves in the business. I'm going to repost a comment I submitted there (cheating, I know, but I've got some writing of my own I need to get done!).

Practice telling the story into a tape recorder like you are telling it to a member of your audience (e.g. if it's kid's movie, you're talking to a kid, if it's for young men, etc.) and then listen back. Usually if it's working, the listenng back part is great, if it's not, you will immediately scream for mercy, beg for release from your pain, and then once the slosh in your stomach has settled down, you'll narrow down the problems and get back to work.... :-)

Fundamentally, we are in the storytelling business. If you can't track down a member of your target audience and get them to listen to you recount the the story no one will buy your script. Also, if you don't know who your audience is, this the time to find out. People often worry that someone will steal their idea. It's a legit concern, but it really doesn't happen as often as you'd imagine, and you're only under threat of theft from someone who is unscrupulous and also a writer -- better to find out how to sniff those people out early.... That's my view anyhow.

On New Year's Eve, I also had an interesting conversation with a writer about getting work when all of your latest "samples" were written under contract and you can't show them to anyone.... More on that one in a bit, I'd planned to follow some sort of orderly progression, but I also like to keep up with the blogosphere when possible....




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thansk for joining the conversation! I'm looking forward to many informative posts from you.

Anonymous said...

Cool idea! I'm plugging this post on my blog.

Unknown said...

Cool. You RITE. Gotta lotta subliminal sub/dudes which kick-ass... and methinks we givest them all unto thee.. Wanna see'm?

God blessa youse
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

Unknown said...

Cool. You RITE. Gotta lotta subliminal sub/dudes which kick-ass... and methinks we givest them all unto thee.. Wanna see'm?

God blessa youse
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL