Friday, March 31, 2006

?'s and Answers

Eleanor writes:

I tend to write for the 18-25/25+ male category, but I like some depth to things so my stories also tend to contain a hunk of female 35+ drama. I know this is breaking the "rules". Is it a massive mistake on my part to do this? Would a more purist approach increase my primary target audience's enjoyment?
My guess is that you really want to write for women over 35. That's a huge demographic and a steady line of work in Hollywood. Don't fight it. The only real test is to pitch to your audience and see how they respond.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I live in the world of comic books and Gandalf.
How the heck am I supposed to move that into the terrirory of 25+ female?

Anonymous said...

Errors abound.

I don't get the feeling too many 35+ females are interested in Zorro, if you know what I mean?

The Film Diva said...

Eleanor

"I don't get the feeling too many 35+ females are interested in Zorro, if you know what I mean?"

Actually, the real issue with Zorro was that it didn't deliver under 25's to the movie. Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones are both women over 35 stars, and the film trailers played like a bodice-ripper. If anything, the film needed to deliver a novel adventure to kids under 25 and men.

Anonymous said...

So, you're saying that if the film had delivered to the under 25 male audience the over 35 females would still have shown up?

I guess you've just answered my question actually...Make sure the story suits the target audience.